Today was a nice, relaxing day. Spent most of the time in the kitchen, blogging, surfing the web, and finally helping to prepare the chicken and figuring out my sweet potato recipe. I found it on Bess’s Bistro and it is amazing! It really is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and savory. As I explained in my Holiday Food Saga post earlier, my goal over the next month or two is to really find some solid, healthy but comforting holiday foods, and this sweet potato recipe nailed it! Everyone who ate it loved it (besides my brother, who doesn’t believe in vegetables -_-), so that’s a great sign! It’s super easy to make with not a lot of dishes.
Rosemary Mint-Roasted Chicken
- Whole 4 1/2lb. chicken, organic
- 1 jar basting sauce from Whole Foods (Rosemary & Mint)
- Wash chicken
- Put in roasting pan and pour basting sauce on top, covering all of the skin
- Roast for about 1 hour, 45 minutes.
- Baste chicken in juices after 1 hour.
- Let finish roasting for 45 minutes.
* * *
Sweet Potatoes with Cranberry-Chipotle Dressing
- 2 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (or fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp. honey (raw honey if possible)
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, plus 1 tsp. sauce, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Place potatoes on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil (you can use up to 2 tbsp, or less if you can), and sprinkle with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tender, turning after 15 minutes.
- Combine remaining ingredients (besides onions and cilantro) in saucepan.
- Place pan over medium-low heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, mash until chunky.
- Combine potatoes, onions, and cilantro in a bowl. Add cranberry mixture. Toss to coat.