This recipe was adapted from a Better Homes & Gardens recipe to be completely vegan. It definitely reminds me of creamy broccoli and cheddar soup, but it’s with cauliflower, which has different (and equally as important) minerals and vitamins in it. The soup is perfectly creamy and thick without being too heavy – we ate it as a first course in our meal the other day and it was perfect. For people who don’t like cauliflower but for some reason are still reading this, my family HATED cauliflower. In fact, the whole time we were cooking this my mom was expressing her doubt, but when we finished and tasted it it was amazing and I would definitely make this again and again!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 oz. Daiya cheddar cheese (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Coat large saucepan with cooking spray; add onion and saute over medium heat until tender (3 minutes). Add cauliflower and cook 2 additional minutes.
- Add broth and milk and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered, for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat, puree soup in blender in batches. Return to pan over medium-low heat. Whisk in cheese and bring to low boil. Stir until melted. Sprinkle with dill, stir and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, until ready to eat.
The dill is what really makes this recipe, so let it have some time to soak it in, and really use fresh dill if you can, it makes a huge difference!